Senior Software Development Engineer - Full Stack
About the role
We're looking for a Senior Software Development Engineer to work across our systems - roughly 60% frontend and 40% backend - to help us build the top of the class product for our customers. You'll enjoy this role if you like the opportunities and challenges of working in a growing business and building extensible, secure and performant systems using widely accepted best practices. You will play a genuinely impactful part that makes a difference to our customers and the industry. You'll collaborate daily with engineering, product and commercial colleagues and help to build an effective and creative working culture.
At Growth Street, we’re passionate about understanding growing businesses and helping them succeed. We're using technology to modernise the business loans sector.
We offer an innovative product that matches a wide range of investors’ funds with the working capital needs of ambitious businesses. Our marketplace offers borrowers lines of credit from £25k up to £2m. Our product is similar to a traditional bank overdraft but gives customers a smoother, faster, and more flexible experience.
Growth Street was founded in 2015 and we're a growing company of 70 people. We have 20 people working in Technology, building cloud-native systems drawing on experience from companies that include Lovefilm, BBC, Yahoo, Reuters, Bloomberg, JP Morgan and Amazon.
Whether we’re speaking to customers or to each other, we try at all times to live by our core values:
- Be curious – We’re eager to learn, share and use knowledge to positively impact our customers: that’s why we ask everyone to be curious.
- Be in sync – When we bring our skills and talent together we are at our best. That’s why we are always working to be in sync.
- Beat expectations – At Growth Street, we work for our customers. We’re dedicated to thinking about what customers need now and in the future, and we go out of our way to beat expectations.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity organisation that embraces a diverse and inclusive working culture.
You can find more about what it’s like to be an engineer at Growth Street at https://www.growthstreet.co.uk/engineering.
You will be a great hire if you can have an impact for the business by:
- Being responsible for the frontend stack and be the go-to person for the front end.
- Providing significant contribution to the future architectural and scalability decisions around how software is built at Growth Street.
- Delivering production quality code based around Python 3.7, Django and Flask.
- Utilising your robust system design & architecture knowledge, with an eye towards solid testing, scalability and availability.
- Designing distributed data processing systems using queue/pub-sub/scheduler approaches.
- Leading and applying a test-driven approach to all engineering moving forward, coaching the team to this goal, shortening the feedback loop across the SDLC.
- Working with business stakeholders, product owners and business analysts to analyse requirements, develop ideas and design solutions.
- Mentoring more junior members of your team, and continue to establish development best practices.
Your qualifications, skills and motivations
If you can answer "yes" to most of these questions you'd be a great fit:
- Are you a pragmatic technologist who chooses the best suited technology for a task?
- Do you have working experience building services?
- Do you enjoy styling pages using CSS?
- Do you have an experience with front end technologies such as React, Angular, Vue?
- Do you design your software with the hexagonal architecture and the principles of the '12 factor app'?
- Do you apply SOLID principles to everything you do?
- Do you enjoy coaching and leading engineers to build secure, extensible and performant web applications?
Our tech stack includes, but is not limited to: Python 3.7; Django; Flask; PostgreSQL; Celery; AWS and React.
- Participation in an employee equity scheme
- Employer pension contributions of 5% of your base salary
- 25 days of holiday, plus bank holidays
- Employee referral bonus scheme
- Enhanced maternity and paternity pay
- Strong and clear company values focused on growth
- Training, equipment and IT budget
- The tools you require to get the job done
- Free access to bike storage, showers, and changing facilities
- Free breakfast & fruit
- Budget for books; weekly lunch & learns and a busy social calendar
- Flexible working arrangements
The role is based from our London office. We are located 1 minute from Aldgate Tube station, and just over 5 minutes from Liverpool Street station.